This was my first turkey to ever cook and my sweet friends volunteered to be the testers at our Friendsgiving. I wanted to do a cajun turkey, I am all about a lot of spice. Plus, a cajun turkey paired well with the sides that my friends and I were making. We made truffle mac & cheese, creamed spinach, au gratin potatoes, and garlic bread. For the turkey, I selected a 11 lb. turkey which was plenty for 7 people. I would definitely set aside about an hour for prep of the turkey and then 2-3 hours for baking depending on the size of your turkey. It will be delicious!
Ingredients for Turkey Base:
1 medium carrot
1 rib celery
1/2 medium onion
Ingredients for Turkey Cavity Filling:
1 crisp apple
1 jalapeno pepper
1 green onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice Rub
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Ingredients for Cajun Spice Rub:
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Prepare the cavity filling:
1) Cut apple into large pieces, seed and cut jalapeno into strips, dice green onion and halve garlic cloves.
2) Add one teaspoon oil to saute pan over medium heat and add all ingredients.
3) Toss to coat and saute just until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes.
4) With tongs, take the ingredients from pan and insert most of the mixture into body cavity and a small amount into neck cavity.
Roast the turkey:
1) Place seasoned, filled turkey into a preheated 325(F) oven for 2.5 hours or about 15 minutes per pound.
2) Turkey is done when thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the thigh reads 170(F). Take care not to touch the bone with thermometer, as this temperature will read higher than the meat itself.
3) Allow bird to rest 10 minutes or more before carving.
4) A spicy gravy can be made with roasting pan juices.
Prepare the turkey:
1) Remove turkey from packaging; locate and set aside neck and giblets package from inside the turkey cavity.
3) Rinse turkey with cold water and completely pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
4) Roughly chop carrot, onion and celery for turkey base.
5) Arrange vegetables in the bottom of roasting pan. I used a throw-away pan, but placed a cookie sheet underneath for support.
6) Place turkey on top of vegetables, breast side up.
Season the turkey:
1) Combine all ingredients for Cajun Spice Rub in a clean, dry bowl and set aside.
2) Melt butter and brush all exposed area of the turkey.
3) Generously coat turkey with spice rub mixture.
This was my first turkey to ever cook and my sweet friends volunteered to be the testers at our Friendsgiving. I wanted to do a cajun turkey, I am all about a lot of spice. Plus, a cajun turkey paired well with the sides that my friends and I were making. We made...read more
Instructions: Butter insides of both slices of bread and place cheese on one side. Close sandwich and butter the top of the bread then add minced garlic. Melt butter in a pan on medium heat, add a little minced garlic and sauté. Do not burn the butter. Place...read more
photo Pick a Scent My family’s house always has a certain smell at Christmas that I has never ceased to get old. I chose a Thymes Frasier fir candle because it smells like I have a real tree. Buying a candle with a specific scent means you can recreate the...read more
My new favorite place to be whisked away to is definitely Tulum, Mexico. I have the most wonderful boyfriend, Billy, who gifted me with such a fun trip for my birthday and to celebrate our anniversary. The weather was absolutely perfect, but the water was a bit...read more
photo Start your day with a gratitude list Donate to a charitable cause Call one of your parents, just to catch up Go to coffee with a long-lost friend photo Write a note to your significant other to remind them how much they mean to you Volunteer at a local charity...read more
photo Stumptown Coffee Located right onside of the Ace Hotel, this is the strongest & most delicious coffee. I am partial to their ice coffee with almond milk, but their lattes are delicious as well. I have also bought their cold brew in a bottle before and it...read more
I am SO excited about our upcoming trip to Tulum, Mexico. It will be my first time in Tulum and I am in need of a relaxing getaway. The weather in October is very similar to the weather in New Orleans, warm. It will be in the low 80s during the day and the high 70s...read more
photo Fredericksburg, Texas Texas Wine Country If you and all your bestie are wine drinkers this might be the spot for you! There is shopping, spas and of course wine! Napa Valley is a great option, but this might be a better and a little less expensive option. I...read more
Planning is probably one of my most favorite things to do (i.e. why I started taylored weekend), but planning quickly for things like a spontaneous weekend away can be a little stressful at first. However, spontaneous trips can be the best ones to take because they...read more
WHERE TO STAY? Hotel Allegro We booked our flights and hotel on a Friday and flew out the next day. It was the definition of a spontaneous getaway. I loved the experience at Hotel Allegro. Check in was a breeze! The great thing about this luxe boutique hotel is that...read more